Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fabric Shack in Waynsville, Ohio


Twice we've left Cincinnati without stopping, but this past week, I couldn't resist taking a side road through the country to visit the FABRIC SHACK in Waynesville, Ohio. My sister-in-law took me the first time, and I fell in love -- who wouldn't with the plethora of design books and bolt after bolt of delicious fabrics?

So we stopped -- and I had a blast. Fortunately Gordon is the patient sort (but then I do go to all his woodworking trade shows, showing equal enthusiasm!) Gordon has been known to scour a fabric shop looking for just the right shade of green to go with some Christmas fabric I'd picked out, but I digress.

As I was waiting in line to have my fabric cut, the employee explained that most of their fabric isn't in the store. Much more is available online. So I could hardly wait to get back to the keyboard once we returned to our home in Alexandria, Virginia, to see what's up at the Fabric Shack website.


Their new blog is called QUILT KARMA and its got some interesting postings, though it's only been around since June. They are probably better quilters than they are bloggers, if the number of entries is any criteria for judging. I really like the "curvy" nature of the squares in the Twilight Quilt below, but it could be that this quilt merely strikes a cord since it boasts my favorite color combination of blues and light greens.


Twilight Quilt from the Quilt Karma blog.
Once you've placed things in your shopping cart, you can use the "design wall" to determine your final choices. It seems the better websites offer this option for determining which mix and match options are most pleasing for your project.
Gypsy Quilter The Gypsy Cutting Gizmo-
I picked up one of those Gypsy Quilter The Gypsy Cutting Gizmo thinking that it will be a time saver. I do a lot of piecing in long stretches, without cutting the thread between pieces. The weight of the gizmo should suffice, and save me the "drudgery" of picking up my seam ripper after every long stretch. Its a silly thing, but I think it may just do the trick.








Fabric Shack
99 South Marvin Lake
Waynesville, Ohio 45068


No comments:

Post a Comment