Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dutch Doors & Crazy Quilts



From WikiPedia we read:
"The term "crazy quilting" is often used to refer to the textile art of crazy patchwork and is sometimes used interchangeably with that term. Crazy quilting does not actually refer to a specific kind of quilting (the needlework which binds two or more layers of fabric together), but a specific kind of patchwork. Crazy quilts rarely have the internal layer of batting that is part of what defines quilting as a textile technique."

Dutch Door - used with permission.
While I didn't inherit a crazy quilt, I remember visiting the elderly lady who lived next door to us on Perkins Lane in Seattle circa 1954. She had a crazy quilt of brilliant satins and black velvet draped across the baby grand piano in her living room. I remember all sorts of fancy hand embroidery stitches holding the pieces together. It was like nothing I'd ever seen.

Just going to visit this woman was a treat. She had a "Dutch Door" which simply fascinated me, particularly since my parents espoused an affection for the mid-century modern. I'd never seen such a door, and initially thought it was broken.



Crazy Quilts: History - Techniques - Embroidery MotifsShe also had a full-sized harp, and lampshades with all sorts of tassels and trims hanging down. I wasn't more than 5 years old, because we moved over to a home on Lake Washington by 1st grade. But my recollections of our neighbor's wildly colorful, crazy patched quilt still stick with me.

(I was always afraid that harp would fall over on me!)




5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous door! I have always been fascinated by these doors too, but have never seen one with such lovely glass in the upper portion.

    We were blessed to inherit my husband's grandma's crazy quilt from her teen years (ca 1910), and seeing her name hand-embroidered ("Jennie") makes me wonder what this young girl was like. Very precious. Thank you for bringing back memories... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am catching up on my blogreading, and just found out about this blog. How awesome to have a site that combines genealogy and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELCOME Shasta! So good to hear from you. We're also on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Karen -- If you take a pic of the quilt, and do a little write up, I'll be happy to add you as an author here on Genea-Quilters.

    What an AWESOME way to honor your husband's grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really knew my grandmothers on either side but I did inherit a crazy quilt piece that was never finished and made by my maternal grandmother. It is about 18"x18". I mounted on cardboard and then framed it to protect it from further damage. I remember as a child I had a double wedding ring quilt as my bedspread that she also made. Boy do I wish I had it now. I just found this blog and love it. I have always wanted to be a quilter ... I am a seamstress but have only done a few quilting projects.

    ReplyDelete