Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Genea-Quilters 2011 Block Challenge


 
 Support the 2012 Scholarship Fund for
The Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree


We need your help to make at least one quilt block in this super-quick, high-profile block challenge.

Deadline: 15 April 2011 (revised!)

We're going to raffle a quilt at the Southern California Genealogical Society's Jamboree on Saturday, 11 June 2011 at the Marriott Burbank Conference Center. Proceeds will be donated to the Society's scholarship fund for the 2012 Jamboree.

Genea-Quilters is sponsoring the block challenge, with the Glendale Quilting Guild's able assistance. All quilters are encouraged to participate by providing blocks. The Glendale Quilting Guild will piece the quilt, safety pin, install binding, then set the quilt up on a frame for tying during the first two days of the 2011 Jamboree.  Genea-Quilter Myrt will make individual postings at the Genea-Quilters Blog out of your photos and write-ups. Genea-Quilter Tami will create a .PDF doc, and Genea-Quilter Genea will have the resulting book printed out in full color at her local copy office. The book about the quilt will be given to the winner of the quilt raffle.

The Southern California Genealogical Society will administer the funds, reporting to Genea-Quilters by July 15th about the amount our quilt raised for the scholarship. A panel of both Southern California and Genea-Quilters will review applications for the 2012 Jamboree Scholarship received by 15 October 2011. More information on this process to follow. Scholarship winner will be announced on 1 January 2012.

HERE'S HOW QUILTERS CAN PARTICIPATE

A. Post a comment to this blog entry indicating your participation in this quilting challenge, including the number of blocks you will complete.

B. Choose a quilt block design that reflects your heritage in some way, perhaps the design, or maybe the name of the block itself (i.e., Ohio Star, Road to California, etc).

C. Quilt fabric choices can be from your stash or from new fabrics as you choose. We are going for a muted US Civil War era color scheme, with either dark brown or black for sashes, backing and binding. For color inspiration see: www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MF-3340-BOM-QK

D. Quilters may submit multiple quilt blocks. However, EACH block submitted  must include:
  1. One 8" finished quilt block
  2. Name of quilter and name of quilt block design
  3. Photograph of quilter holding the completed block
  4. Photograph of the quilt block (closeup)
  5. Quilter's small signature in a discrete corner or side of the block. This may be embroidered or written with a thin permanent marker.
  6. A writeup about how your block was chosen and how it relates to your heritage or family history.If you include an ancestral photo of an individual, his home, or a quilt, so much the better.
SUBMISSION CHECKLIST

DEADLINE: The quilt blocks, with accompanying photos and write-ups must be in Gena's hands no later than 15 April 2011. No exceptions. See Gena's contact info below.

__ Submit a digital copy of your photo with the block(s) to Myrt.

__ Submit a digital closeup photos of your quilt block to Myrt.

__ Submit a digital writeup of your Name, email address and the writeup about your block(s) to Myrt.

__ Submit a digital copy of any related ancestral photos.

__ Contact Gena Ortega personally for her street address. She is collecting the blocks, and working with Paula Hinkel and the Glendale Quilting Guild to produce the quilt.

__ Print out a copy of the 2 photos and your writeup, to include with your block(s) when you send them to Gena.

__ Make a comment at the Genea-Quilters Blog indicating your block(s) are on their way to Gena.

ONE MORE THING!
Quilters will receive one "free registration" raffle ticket for each quilt block submitted -- to receive free registration at the 2012 Jamboree! AWESOME!

17 comments:

  1. I will commit to one block. Will do more if possible but I have time constraints. I appreciate your requesting Civil War Reproduction fabric - it's my personal favorite and I have lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do 2 blocks -- 1 a Dresden plate, and the other a Sunbonnet Sue. Thankfully the deadline was adjusted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will commit to making two blocks. One will be a Union Star and one will be a Mariner's Compass. Judy Ragan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will commit to making two blocks. One will be a "Variable Star" for the Union side of my family and one will be the Mississippi Star for my Southern from Mississippi. WOW really glad I found this site. How fun this is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new to quilting and wonder what is meant by "finished" quilt block? My assumption is all the piecing is done but the four edges are raw edges? I posted another comment yesterday indicating I would be committing two blocks but I don't see it posted. Hoped it didn't get lost. If it did, I will repeat 2 blocks - one Union and one Confederate. Union is Variable Star and Confederate is Mississippi flag. I just finished the first one -- having so much FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The four edges will be raw, allowing 1/4 seams all around. The finished size will be 8 inches when sewn in with sashes by our quilt finisher.

    I decided to make 4 quilt blocks, to balance things out on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will commit to one block -- an Ohio star. This sounds like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really fun! I work at Missouri Star Quilt Co., so I know I can get Civil War repro fabric. I will make two blocks. Thanks for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got my blocks done, now I just need to take a few pictures and get them in the mail. 2 Sunbonnets and 2 wagon wheels. It was fun and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll commit to one Log Cabin block (I'm hoping for 2.) I have some civil war reproduction fabric I brought home from Texas Ranch House that will be perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 2 Pinwheel blocks finished from my mothers collection of patterns. I actually did them as mirror images. I was going to send pictures of a couple of her quilts and just a page from her life story done for her 90th birthday. I had everything ready to send and realized that I don't have an address. Eliz. Scherz

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Thanks Elizabeth. You just need to contact Gena Ortega, as she is collecting the blocks. (click on her name for her email address) I am dying to see the blocks and will make the blog posting as soon as I receive them and your story via email.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will do Clay's Choice in memory of my husband's Great Grandfather, William Henry Clay, and namesake of our youngest son, Clay. I have Civil War fabrics, but if I can find muted scraps from Ada Clay Wilson's (daughter of William Clay) dress fabric I will use that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have two blocks finished. Now I need to take pictures, etc. They should be in the mail before the end of the week. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    Are there any guidelines for the biographical info?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made three blocks, getting pics and will do write ups tomorrow. Courthouse steps in honor of my husbands grandmother a prolific quilter. Double nine patch since is has been a family favorite using scraps. Rob Peter to Pay Paul in honor of my family quilters, Greatgrandmother, Grandmothers and Mother.
    Raylene Junkins

    ReplyDelete
  16. My blocks are on their way to Gena.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,where can we see the blocks? Did you recieve enough for a nice size top?

    ReplyDelete